Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chapter 01: One spaghetti dinner too many (chapters are linked)  (Read 711 times)

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
Twyla always ate her supper at 5 PM exactly, and since today was Thursday, supper was a small pork chop, a small potato, a few green beans, and a pinch of pepper sprinkled on everything.  But no salt.  The doctor was not happy about her blood pressure, and had reminded her yet again, just this Monday, and unnecessarily, that she must not take salt with any of her meals.  He did not need to repeat himself to Twyla.  She was only fifty-five years old, after all, and her thinking was still as sharp as it had always been.  If her blood pressure was still too high, then it had nothing to do with taking salt with her meals.

She arranged the second plate on the table, turning it very slightly, until she was satisfied with its position.  Next, she placed the napkins, always her best cloth napkins, and then she laid the silver.  Finally, she went to the cabinet, brought out the photograph of her late husband, and placed it in the center of the plate, facing across the table toward the other plate.

Twyla always ate her supper at 5 PM, and always in the company of J. Filmore Crumplebottom III, who watched her with his usual stern and unyielding expression, frozen for all time behind a square of glass and a wooden frame.  Sometimes she would smile at him, but she would never speak to him.  That would be inappropriate, and not only because he was dead, but because they had always eaten their dinner together in complete silence.

In all their years together, and that would be twenty-five of them, he had never spoken to her while they were eating dinner.  Well, that was not quite true.  There was that last dinner, when he had lowered his fork and spoon, had stared hard at her, and said, ďThe spaghetti sauce is excellent tonight.Ē  Then he had put his face down into the noodles on the plate.  Unfortunately, this unexpected behavior was not because the sauce was excellent, although Twyla had hoped, for one tiny moment that this was the case.  No, it was because J. Filmore Crumplebottom III had died on the noodles.

Twyla would forever remember his last words to her, and how he had died, with his head resting like a large meatball in the middle of her best efforts.  She had never cared to eat spaghetti again.

Next chapter
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:37:06 PM by Lynet »
Be polite, or I may put you in a book and kill you.

Young at heart, old everywhere else.

Not doing things is my new superpower. Iím not doing an infinite number of things as we speak.

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
Re: Chapter 01: One spaghetti dinner too many
« Reply #1 On: April 05, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
This is my own favorite chapter.  :)

Would you like to comment?  Please do.  Although the stories in this forum were posted months ago, comments from readers are always welcome.  Please ignore the warning about how old the the thread is...really.  We'd all love to know that you are reading the stories and what you think about them.  And thanks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:26:11 AM by Lynet »

Not doing things is my new superpower. Iím not doing an infinite number of things as we speak.

Surprised_by_Witches

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
Re: Chapter 01: One spaghetti dinner too many (chapters are linked)
« Reply #2 On: October 27, 2017, 09:19:49 AM »
Lynet, I needed something to read over the phone the other night and decided on this story. I'd forgotten how well written and perfect it was. This is such a good story. You set the scene so well. Also, dying on the noodles really made us laugh.

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #3 On: October 29, 2017, 10:41:45 AM »
Thanks, SBW. :) I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It is one of my own favorites.

I've occasionally tried to figure out how to translate this story (and Errol Waring stories, too) into one that I can publish. The biggest hurdles are that the characters are based on the Sims game, so besides the fact that their personalities might confuse readers who've never played the game, I can't use the pictures either. *sigh* Maybe I could write out some humorous background to fill in those holes.

I did OK with the rewrite of Andromeda Rose, although I've never been happy with the ending. The explanation for that planet's existence was not satisfying, being within shouting distance of the dreaded "It was all a dream," even if it wasn't exactly that, which has always bothered me.

Mainly, I just need to get into writing again, ::) and perhaps a project like this would inspire me, even if I never actually get far enough to publish.

Surprised_by_Witches

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
« Reply #4 On: October 31, 2017, 08:49:25 PM »
Writing can definitely be its own reward. :)

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #5 On: November 02, 2017, 05:05:51 AM »
Thanks for reminding me of one of your great pieces of writing. I've also been considering writing again. I have two ideas competing for my attention ... argh! You wait ages for a bus, and then two come along at once!
"Physics is like sex. Sure it may give you practical results, but that's not why we do it"
R. Feynman

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #6 On: November 02, 2017, 06:00:05 AM »
That's wonderful, Mirelly! :D LOL, ride both those buses like a cowboy rides two horses.

And thanks about my story telling. :*