Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Making A Start  (Read 3033 times)

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
Re: Making A Start
« Reply #25 On: August 12, 2012, 07:18:02 AM »
I'm glad to see that Father Ramirez has allowed study of the object they found.  If he had prevented the study I wonder if Daire would have gone back in the middle of the night to cut into it all on his own. And maybe blown them all to kingdom come.  ::)

Uh...and eeewwww at the baby shit burgers, LOL.  But the family scene was funny and although I can't imagine a household of 8 small children, :O , I smiled all the way through an evening with Daire's miniature mountain climbers.  Maybe having 3 parents really is the key to raising children.
Be polite, or I may put you in a book and kill you.

Young at heart, old everywhere else.

Not doing things is my new superpower. I知 not doing an infinite number of things as we speak.

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #26 On: August 12, 2012, 08:54:56 AM »
Maybe having 3 parents really is the key to raising children.

:J I have given this matter a great deal of thought. A colony -- any colony -- needs immigrants. Interstellar colonisation more or less makes immigration impossible. The cost per pound of sending stuff on a light years long trip is such that the male to female ratio is more or less economically moot ... unless the author stipulates artificial wombs, a colony needs women a lot more than it needs men. Plural marriage then becomes a natural consequence of a 2:1 female to male ratio.

As for the baby-shit burger ...  :'( ... I couldn't resist it. I saw a Nat Geographic documentary where Mumbai's sewage was being harnessed to farm farm fish for human consumption. When I thought of the sudden influx of several thousand babbies it occurred to me that diapers were problematic.Solution: part one ... stipulate an artificial fibre better than cotton; and part two ... invent a use for the waste organics.  :O:

What can I say? I'm a long-time fan of Larry Niven who gave us: We Made It (the name of an interstellar colony); and Mount Lookitthat (a big mountain on a colony world) ... amongst other equally memorable names. I am rather especially pleased with baby-shit burger ....  :moon:

Meanwhile .... enjoy ... we Brits like our toilet humour.  :O:
"Physics is like sex. Sure it may give you practical results, but that's not why we do it"
R. Feynman

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #27 On: August 12, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »
LOL, great song for one of the things we have to deal with in space travel.

I bet some of the Native American names we kept for rivers and mountains over here, if translated, would be something as cool as "Lookitthat." That is a marvelous name.

Not doing things is my new superpower. I知 not doing an infinite number of things as we speak.

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #28 On: August 14, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
I'm not thrilled with the latest effort, but writing it is more important that getting it right first time, I guess.

I had to spend some time dealing with one of the wrinkles that have been bothering me.

Like nuclear pulse fusion ... what sort of frequency would it run at? I decided a low number of cycle per second, but remembered reading about infrasound and its effects on people.

Infrasound is also earthquake territory and thanks to wikipedia I learned that sound moves through solids in two planes at right angles to each other ... a propagating compression wave, and a so-called shear wave. I conjectured that at suitable "volumes" some solids might melt ... like soft-plastic bearings. Ain't sci-fi funderful?  ;)
"Physics is like sex. Sure it may give you practical results, but that's not why we do it"
R. Feynman

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #29 On: August 15, 2012, 06:45:45 PM »
You're killing me.  Do you actually do whole bunches of calculations before writing a chapter like Chapter 14?

Whew! Awesome stuff.

I'm wondering if I could hire you to help with the ending of my new story where I've got to put an asteroid into orbit around a planet where it becomes a moon in an orbit too far out to decay and crash into the planet. ::)  I had planned, of course, to be as vague as possible, bullshit like crazy, and leave those mental exercises entirely up to the imagination of my readers. That's my usual method. 

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #30 On: August 16, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »
LOL ... I've become a pretty good orbital  mechanic. I can do some calculations if you like.
R. Feynman

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #31 On: August 17, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
Just read Chapter 15.   Hand-wringing time.  :erm:  Very exciting.

Funny that I just today read a short story about cyronics where the problem was that a super-cooled brain operated like a super-cooled computer, functioning at many times normal speed, and that people awoke from the cryosleep raving mad.  The author of this short story is John Patin, the man who gave my book that wonderful review I am so proud of.  He's written several science fiction short stories but only publishes them for Kindle and sells them in groups of 3 stories for 99 cents.  No print versions.  I've read them all and they're good, and are what I'd call real science fiction, like this story of yours.

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #32 On: August 18, 2012, 12:32:45 AM »
Super-cooled brain, eh? I wish I'd thought of that ... nah, I would never think of that.  :erm:

My own idea came from two separate personal experiences. In the first I was staying the night with some friends who had a house in the country. In the middle of the night I woke needing to pee and without thinking I leaped out of bed and was half-way across the room before I realised what I was doing. It was utterly pitch dark and I couldn't see a thing. I put out my hands to feel my way and after a second realised I was lost. I had to get on all fours and crawl around until I found the bed and the lamp beside it .... For a few seconds I had been the most scared I'd ever been in my life, for no reason other than blind funk.

Another time I dreamed I was ice cold and shivering and sort of trapped an unable to get up and get somewhere where I could get warm. Eventually I woke up and really was shivering ... I'd managed to kick off the bed covers and it was mid January and I was in an unheated student house.  :O:
R. Feynman

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #33 On: August 19, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »
Our trip to the Maryland mountains was a week in a house on a street with no streetlamps and no nearby city to brighten the night sky.  The first night in our bedroom it was completely pitch black. There was a very loud sound of insects just outside the windows I had opened to get fresh air.  Couldn't see the windows.  Just heard the noise coming through them.  Whatever that bug was it sounded bigger than any cricket and it (and his buddies) chattered all night long.

We bought a small plugin nightlight the next day.   ::)

Meanwhile, glad to see that some of the sleepers on the Susan C seem to have survived the sleep.  May give Hal some confidence.  The love scene with his wife was very sweet. I think you're doing a great job with your characters.  I'm growing attached to them. 

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #34 On: January 04, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »
Andrew Berkson looks like he's going to be a problem for the colony.

And Daire is fifty now? I hate it when my favorite characters grow old.  ;)

And if that's a landing vessel they've discovered, where are those who landed it? Are they still alive? If not, what killed them? Are there more where they came from and will they cause problems for the Earth people?

It's going to be hard to wait for the next chapter.

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #35 On: January 07, 2013, 01:55:44 PM »
You may notice a few repeated paragraphs ... I shifted some from the previous chapter. I started this one before deciding I wanted to add some colour to Andy Berkson's milieu.
R. Feynman

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #36 On: January 07, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »
LOL, little green people.  Outstanding!  Dead, I presume. Or in 'stasis.'   :B