Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twenty-Two  (Read 1224 times)

muffin-tacos

• Scribe
  • Nobel Prize Winner
Twenty-Two
« On: December 19, 2010, 02:12:16 PM »

TWENTY-TWO

She didn't know where to go. She barely noticed where she was going. Everything was a blur. All she did was keep at a brisk walk.

When she wiped her eyes she saw that her feet had taken her to the park. It was empty, thank goodness, and she sat down on a bench. She let her emotions wash over her, tears streaming down her face. She let out a sob. Everything was so chaotic... She wished Tamara was here. Tamara knew what was going on, she would be able to give Nicole advice.

Everything was really going to hell. Her parents hated her, she was the laughing stock of the school, she had severely hurt someone she cared about. By running away from her problems, she had just made matters worse.

Nicole stared at the dirty water in the pond in front of her. She wondered what it would feel like to drown in that water. How easy it would be just to end everything.

Behind her, Nicole heard a car pull up. She wiped her eyes and nose on her jumper and looked around. Her dad was getting out of the car and coming towards her.

For a second, Nicole thought about running, but then she realised that she was so very tired of running. She couldn't do it any more.

Soon Eric was by her side on the bench. He scooped her up in his lap and cuddled her. The tears came back and she was shaking. She tried to say something, but only sobs came out.

“Shh, don't say anything,” her dad whispered, stroking her black hair. “You don't need to say anything.”

Nicole cuddled up to him and cried on his shoulder.

They sat like that for a long time before the crying stopped.

“Where's Mum?” Nicole asked weakly.

“She had to go to work.”

Nicole sniffed.

“Do I have to go to school?”

Her dad smiled his warm smile, “No, you don't have to go to school. There's only three days left of the term, like you said. There's not really much point in going.”

Nicole smiled back. It felt like she hadn't smiled in days.
"In the deepest hour of the night,
confess to yourself that you would die
if you were forbidden to write.
And look deep into your heart
where it spreads it's roots, the answer,
and ask yourself, must I write?" -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
Re: Twenty-Two
« Reply #1 On: December 19, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »
What a wonderful dad she has.  I hope he can help her face her problems.

Glad to see you get back to the story, Muffin.  I'm very interested to see how it turns out for Nicole.
Be polite, or I may put you in a book and kill you.

Young at heart, old everywhere else.

Not doing things is my new superpower. I’m not doing an infinite number of things as we speak.

Surprised_by_Witches

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
Re: Twenty-Two
« Reply #2 On: January 07, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
I think I'd still make her go. Running from your problems only makes them worse. She needs to stand up to her so-called friends or she'll be dodging this forever.