Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Serious Business  (Read 6515 times)

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
Re: Serious Business
« Reply #225 On: November 09, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »
I was thinking, like you do, the other day and I wondered what would happen if I was in charge of the starship Enterprise and beamed up Trump, Pence, and Ryan and then told America to choose a serious leadership ...  :rofl:

No. I'm not asking that on Quora!  ::)
"Physics is like sex. Sure it may give you practical results, but that's not why we do it"
R. Feynman

muffin-tacos

• Scribe
  • Nobel Prize Winner
« Reply #226 On: November 10, 2017, 09:10:19 AM »
Back in the states, a couple of recent elections this week have cheered me up. I can only hope that it continues. Democrats won them. A transgender woman won a seat in the Virginia statehouse. Awesome!

I saw that! I hope people are finally beginning to see what a cock up the Trump administration is. Read somewhere that he's the most unpopular president ever with only a 38% approval rate or something. Sheesh. As we say in Sweden, "Goddag, yxskaft!" Which basically means wake up and smell the coffee, but in a really sarcastic, eye-roll way. :P

Sweden's alright, I suppose. ::) We've got a few problems here too but when you look at the rest of the world, we're at least not going backwards. Yet. I'm worried about the elections in 2018. :crazy:
"In the deepest hour of the night,
confess to yourself that you would die
if you were forbidden to write.
And look deep into your heart
where it spreads it's roots, the answer,
and ask yourself, must I write?" -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #227 On: November 12, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »
Just now saw Mirelly's post here. Even though I check the "Show unread posts since last visit" I still manage to miss one now and again, and I missed this one. {/

And I agree that asking what would happen if the Enterprise captured Trump, Pence, and Ryan, is not a question for Quora. LOL, there's not much humor in evidence over there--except in some of Mirelly's answers--or at least not in the question/answer list that shows up for me. ::)

Yup, Muffin, I'm still worried as hell about the 2018 elections. :(

Meanwhile, what the damned hell is going on in Poland? 60,000 people showed up for a white supremacist rally where marchers carried signs with messages like ďEurope Will Be WhiteĒ and ďClean Blood.Ē

60,000 !!! Even if that estimate is too high, half as many would still be an enormous number of people.

It scares me to see this. And it will encourage equally nasty losers over here to come out of the woodwork. The world's got so many other problems we need to deal with. FUCK this Nazi shit. :gr:
Be polite, or I may put you in a book and kill you.

Young at heart, old everywhere else.

Not doing things is my new superpower. Iím not doing an infinite number of things as we speak.

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #228 On: November 12, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
And just between you, me, and the bedpost, I have a secret worry about all the military men that Trump has gathered around him. He's obviously a loose cannon. What if those guys decide to take control?

I try not to think about it, but this administration is the most confused, out-of-control mess in the history of the country.

Not doing things is my new superpower. Iím not doing an infinite number of things as we speak.

muffin-tacos

• Scribe
  • Nobel Prize Winner
« Reply #229 On: November 13, 2017, 04:40:44 AM »
OMG I had no idea about the 60,000 nazis march!! That's absolutely insane and extremely terrifying. That's a lot of people. Couldn't find any Swedish news sites reporting about this. Shows the importance of following news sites from other nationalities so you can get the full scope of things.  :\

There's been a lot of criticism of how Sweden has let nazis march openly and finally our government has decided it's time to look into it and do something about it. Free speech and all that has been the argument before but I don't see how nazi propaganda even falls under the category of free speech since you're not allowed to spout hate speech against certain groups of people, which is everything that the nazis do. So it's just bullshit.
"In the deepest hour of the night,
confess to yourself that you would die
if you were forbidden to write.
And look deep into your heart
where it spreads it's roots, the answer,
and ask yourself, must I write?" -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Surprised_by_Witches

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
« Reply #230 On: November 15, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
I missed it, too. What the hell is the world coming to.

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #231 On: November 15, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #232 On: November 23, 2017, 07:23:33 AM »
I've been in debate over Brexit over on Quora. Thought you might be interested in my response to a comment that referred to the last time the UK voted on Europe in 1975.

Chris, the 1975 vote was an entirely different beast. Then we were voting on membership of a nine member economic community, the poorest of which was Ireland with whom, the ďTroublesĒ notwithstanding, we ó the UK ó had enjoyed relatively soft borders since, at least, the war.

I can't even name all the members of the EU.

Even when Maastricht was slipped in under the radar back in the 1990s, I doubt that even the most federalist of British EU supporters anticipated the indecent rush to sign up former Warsaw Pact nations ó whose totally broken economies have not benefited from EU membership because their best workers are in Germany, France, Italy, and the UK. So are their criminals and scroungers, I'm sorry to say (because it looks like prejudice; it isn't).

The EU aspired to be a federation. It's failed. The EU federal apparatus in Brussels and Strasbourg operates in a complete democratic vacuum. The European Parliament is an expensive illusion of popular democratic representation because it holds no substantive constitutional sovereign power. Instead the power is wielded by commissions and boards composed of political appointees. It's almost as if the architects of Maastricht had deliberately chosen to avoid democracy.

Meanwhile, Mrs Merkel is on the ropes. I have to say I not only hope, but gleefully predict, that the EU has a lot less than ten years before it crumbles in disarray Ö and how Putin will cry laughing into his vodka when that happens.

The EU sucks harder than a Dyson. Political entities almost never choose voluntarily to reform themselves; and those in power are always reluctant to retire, aren't they Mr Mugabe?

The collapse of the EU has to be seen as a good thing for Europe. There remains a strong wish for peaceful cooperation and fraternity. One can only hope that Generation Y will produce better leaders than the Baby Boomers (who are too tainted by WW1 grandparents and WW2 parents to be dispassionate on all matters European). If that happens we may yet see a new EU emerge before 2030 but only if leaders of truly pioneering political nous come forward with ideas for confederation that have the flexibility to evolve without revolution whilst retaining majority support for working at all during the kink removal process.
"Physics is like sex. Sure it may give you practical results, but that's not why we do it"
R. Feynman

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #233 On: November 23, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »
Thanks, Mirelly. I can see why people wanted to get out of the EU. You've opened a door and given me a glimpse of things I had no clue about.

And my attention to Quora has been hit or miss this past week. Hobbes has been on a house cleaning bender in expectation of the family dinner here. (Even to putting a rack of VHS tapes...that no one has watched in years...in alphabetical order.)

There is one area where the USA falls completely flat on its face, and that is in paying attention to events outside our borders. Unless, of course, the news people can get action video out of it. We've seen endless footage of North Korea's missile launches, and lately a few seconds of the North Korean defector. Other than that, we are insulated in so many ways from the rest of the world.

Since I have access to the internet, I should be able to break through that insulation and find out more about what's going on everywhere else. I suspect I've been too comfortable with not knowing. And now, because of Trump, I've learned painful lessons about my own country. We may survive this administration, but we'll be badly crippled by the shit it leaves behind for years to come.

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #234 On: November 23, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »
Ireland is interesting. They've recently announced they'll veto any Brexit deal that puts ANY sort of border controls between them and Northern Ireland. Outrageous! That would leave our back door open to every would-be illegal immigrant from eastern Europe.

The EU is an abortion ... it just hasn't quite accepted it yet.

Vive le revolution!
R. Feynman

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #235 On: November 23, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
Vive le revolution!

:J

We live in interesting times. :ar: :O

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #236 On: December 07, 2017, 07:16:53 AM »
What I posted to Facebook this morning. I managed not to call Paul Ryan a pile of shit, a Koch brothers ass-licker, a motherfucker, etc...but it was sure a strain not to.

Now that Congress has given a massive tax break to the corporations and the wealthiest 1% of Americans, 99% of us are going to have to pay for it. How are we going to do that?

House Speaker Paul Ryan has announced exactly how we're going to pay for it. He says that next year, 2018, Congress plans to work on bills that will cut what he calls "entitlements," like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other spending on services to 99% of the country, such as housing aid for homeless veterans.

Entitlements? EVERYBODY I know has paid hefty taxes for years, all our adult working lives, into Social Security and Medicare. How the HELL can he call it an entitlement? It's insurance that we PAID for. For our own benefit on retirement, and not for the benefit of the Koch brothers.

And how the HELL can Congress dare to betray the country's veterans?

But Ryan thinks he's got a mandate to do whatever he wants. He's a rich, spoiled brat who has no clue about life on a meager paycheck that barely covers the rent and groceries.

Last year Trump said he wasn't going to touch SS, Medicare and Medicaid, but (1) Trump lies about everything, and (2) Trump is showing increasing signs of dementia. He'll sign anything on the table in front of him. Doesn't even read it. Doesn't care what it says.

Cut Ryan off. Take his job away from him and all the rest of the Republicans. They are corrupt. Vote them out. Ignore the TV political ads that support them and lie for them. Those ads are paid for, ultimately, through PACS or whatever other slimy method they use, by the billionaires.

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #237 On: December 07, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »
Also posted the attached picture

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #238 On: December 07, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
And this one, too. I suspect that the Republicans want to cut out everything in the budget except military spending (and subsidies to the fossil fuel industry) ...anything to do with services and welfare for 99% of Americans, and also science (because science keeps telling us that continued use of fossil fuels is bad for the planet.

Mirelly

• Scribe
  • Booker Prize Winner
    • My Sim Stuff
« Reply #239 On: December 07, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
Oh man! That budget is insane. How can America be so paranoid as to spend more than half its budget on the military? Talk about luring the chickens to the chopping block with a trail of breadcrumbs ...

How the fuck the GOP continues to peddle its anti-poor policies in such a way that the poor saps continue to vote them in ...  :crazy:

I'd suggest coming to Britland and claiming political asylum, but with Brexit we're going down the toilet as well.

Bonus points for observing signs of senile dementia in the orangey one.
R. Feynman

Surprised_by_Witches

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
« Reply #240 On: December 07, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »
No one's even organizing rallies about their stupid tax bill. I think we're all just worn out and feeling powerless. All we can do is hold on until the next election and pray Robert Mueller finds a way to kick all of those bums out because the thought of President Pence keeps me up nights.

The only power we have is our vote.

Now it sounds like one of the strongest anti-Trump voices is out on his ear. Al Franken, you asshole.  So disappointed in you right now. But it's not fair. Democrats are cleaning house while Republicans are actually trying to elect an accused child molester. The world is fucked up, y'all.

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #241 On: December 07, 2017, 10:55:16 AM »
Edited to add that Americans do spend huge amounts on the military. I bet a lot of it is Congressman getting money for military contractors and military bases in their states, as well as supporting all the bases we've got around the world. And a lot of what we'd call boondoggles.

The worst thing about it is that we're apparently spending on the wrong things. Note the number of accidents in the Navy this year. Repairs and maintenance are being neglected. From a November 22 CNN report online: "A US Navy plane crashed into the ocean southeast of Okinawa on Wednesday afternoon, marking at least the sixth apparent accident involving a Navy asset in East Asian waters this year."

Yes, we're worn out. I am certainly tired of being angry every day, because every day there is something new.

I'm sorry we're losing Al Franken. Before being elected to Congress he made his living as a comedian and writer. So some of his behavior might be connected to just clowning around. However, it does seem as if everyone in Hollywood and in politics (as well as the business world) has played loose with sexual misconduct. So far as I've heard (and I've been changing the channel to escape the never-ending talk about all of them,) Franken isn't the monster Harvey Weinstein clearly is, or Trump, nor even Matt Lauer, who had a switch under his desk where he could lock a woman in his office with him. I've always despised Lauer, but I was really, really disappointed with Bill Cosby. Damn, but that was sad.

Hobbes and I were discussing it this morning. In the workplace there is no reason to touch a woman anywhere on her body. Ever. Except to shake her hand when you meet. That's it. No shoulder rubs, no passing so close that you bump into her. No leaning over her shoulder, breathing down her neck, to see what she's writing on that paper on her desk. None of that. Hobbes agrees. (He was always shy around women anyway. Took a lot of effort to win his heart, let me tell ya.)

Yes, the Democrats want to take the high road on this, so that they can blast the Republicans for not living up to the 'family values' they claim to support.

We've got to encourage people to vote for Democrats in every election, even the local ones.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:36:33 AM by Lynet »

Lynet

• Scribe
  • Wm. Shakespeare
    • L M Beyer, Author
« Reply #242 On: December 07, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »
Just wanted to repeat something I've mentioned here before. I spent 30 years married to an asshole. He was an asshole from the beginning, but I was 19 when I married him and didn't realize or understand that he was the one who was making our lives miserable, not me (he blamed me,) as I eventually realized. My marriage to him ended with me convinced that all men, every one of them around the entire world, were assholes. Except for my son. Yes, LOL, I definitely suffered from that infamous cognitive dissonance when my son was born.

Then I met Hobbes. That was a revelation. Night and Day. So my opinion of men changed a lot. I have not forgotten that there are plenty of jackasses out there who consider women to be toys to play with and possess, like property, or to punch and control, but most men are decent people struggling with relationships as much as women are. I can see it with Hobbes. Heart on his sleeve, as they say. It's because of him that I could write sympathetic stories from the point of view of Errol Waring and Pharaoh Farrow. It's because of him that I wanted to write those stories. In fact, it's possible that even the story of Twyla Crumplebottom is a little bit about my own outlook, and the cure for what ailed me.

Getting older, I have definitely become a lot more forgiving of how men and women treat each other. Not completely, but much more than I used to feel. For instance, there are two women I know personally--relations due to marriage, not blood--who have treated men very poorly their entire lives, each married at least three times apiece, maybe more. So it isn't always the man who grabs the crotch uninvited. I know two women who also did that.

In meeting Hobbes I was damn lucky for so many reasons. He has said he feels the same way. :D